The Federated States of Micronesia is an island country in the western part of the Pacific Ocean. The federation includes the states of Chuuk, Kosrae, Pohnpei and Yap. The islands are very scenic and mostly covered with rainforest. There are fantastic diving areas in Micronesia. See andyeducation for education in Micronesia.
|Official Language||Kosraeanisch, Pohnpeanisch, Yapesisch, Chuukesisch, Ulithisch, Woleaianisch, Englisch|
|Telephone Area Code||+691|
Fast facts to know
- Pohnpei is also called the Garden Island.
- On Yap one can admire 1-3 m large stone coins.
- Consists of 607 islands, 40 of which are inhabited.
- Religion predominantly Christian.
- English is the widely understood and spoken official language.
- Roads often in poor condition.
- Complex caste system common.
- There is no German embassy.
- Tourist infrastructure comparatively poorly developed.
- Entry for German citizens with a valid passport without a visa for a maximum of 90 days.
- Economically as a developing country characterized by subsistence agriculture and fishing.
Exciting cities in Micronesia
- Nan Madol
History of Micronesia
- Since the end of the 3rd millennium BC settled.
- Portuguese are the first Europeans in the 16th century.
- In 1696 the islands were taken over by Spain.
- Sold to Germany in 1899 after the Spanish-American War.
- After World War I in 1920 as a League of Nations mandate to Japan.
- In 1947 Micronesia became a UN trust territory.
- 1970 Right to Sovereignty.
- In 1979, the four later states ratified the Constitution of the Federated States of Micronesia.
- 1991 final independence.
Climate & travel weather in Micronesia
- Tropical, warm and humid climate all year round.
- humidity very high.
- Very high rainfall.
- Rainy season May to October (north of the equator) or November and April (south of the equator).
- Tropical cyclones between June and December.
- Recommended travel time:
- dry season
Ideas for trips in Micronesia
- Ruins of Lelu.
- See hundreds of manta rays mating season in Yap in February.
- Diving for sunken Japanese wrecks off the Chuuk Islands.
- Steinstadt Nan Madol.
- Snorkeling, surfing, diving.
- Boat trip to the coral islands.
- Balabat Village on Yap.
Food & Drink in Micronesia
- Mixture of Japanese and American food.
- Raw fish and breadfruit widely used.
- Intoxicating drinks: Sabau or Saka, made from the pepper plant and Achi.
- Taro, cassava, rice common side dish.
- Fish and chicken are eaten with pleasure and often.
- Alcohol banned on Chuuk.
- Typical dishes:
- Coconut crayfish.
- Micronesian Chicken.
- Mangrove whales on Yap.
- Underwater world of Chuuk Atoll (Truk Lagoon).
- Fantastically beautiful beaches of Kosrae with fantastic underwater world.
- Swimming beaches on Yap.
- Spectacular waterfalls:
- Kepirohi Wasserfall.
- Liduduniap Waterfall.
- Lehnpaipohn Waterfall.
- Sokehs Rock.