According to homethodology, Gordonville is a small town located in Cape Girardeau County, Missouri. The population of Gordonville is around 1,500 people. The geography of Gordonville is mostly flat with rolling hills and farmland in the surrounding areas. The climate in Gordonville is humid continental, with hot summers and cold winters.
The history of Gordonville dates back to the early 1800s when it was founded by two brothers, William and John Gordon. They had purchased land from the French settlers who had established a trading post near the town. During the Civil War, Gordonville was on the front lines of battle between Confederate and Union forces. Afterward, it slowly grew into a small farming community with many businesses catering to its residents’ needs.
Politically, Gordonville is part of Cape Girardeau County which is represented by Republican legislators at both the state and federal levels. The economy of Gordonville relies heavily on agriculture as well as some manufacturing businesses that have set up shop in recent years.
Gordonville has several schools including an elementary school, middle school, and high school all within its city limits. There are also private schools for those looking for an alternative education option such as St Joseph Catholic School or Jackson Preparatory Academy.
Notable landmarks include the Old Town Square which has been around since 1819 and serves as a reminder of Gordonville’s rich history; Jackson Cemetery which dates back to 1845; and Fort D Historic Site which served as a Confederate stronghold during the Civil War.
Population: 425. Estimated population in July 2020: 438 (+3.1% change)
Males: 199 (46.8%), Females: 226 (53.2%)
Cape Girardeau County
Median resident age: 39.5 years
Median household income: $53,125
Median house value: $98,500
Races in Gordonville:
- White Non-Hispanic (98.4%)
- American Indian (1.4%)
Ancestries: German (42.1%), United States (13.9%), Irish (11.3%), English (9.9%), Dutch (4.9%), Scottish (1.4%).
Elevation: 395 feet
Land area: 0.8 square miles
Gordonville, Missouri is a small rural town located in the Midwest. The population of Gordonville is approximately 1,500 people. The majority of the population consists of families who have lived in the area for generations. The town has a strong sense of community and many residents have a deep connection to the land and their heritage.
The cost of living in Gordonville is quite low compared to other towns in the Midwest due to its rural location. Groceries are much cheaper than other cities, as are most goods and services. Rent prices are also quite low, with apartments starting around $500 per month for a one bedroom unit. Property taxes are also reasonably low, making it an attractive place to own property and raise a family.
The town offers many recreational activities such as fishing, hiking and camping at nearby state parks and lakes. There is also a local golf course that draws visitors from all over the region. In addition to these activities, there are several restaurants and shops that provide entertainment for locals and visitors alike. Additionally, there is an annual festival held every summer that celebrates the culture of Gordonville with music, food vendors, craftsmen, and more!
For population 25 years and over in Gordonville
- High school or higher: 88.4%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 24.1%
- Graduate or professional degree: 5.1%
- Unemployed: 2.4%
- Mean travel time to work: 18.1 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Gordonville village
- Never married: 20.2%
- Now married: 70.1%
- Separated: 0.0%
- Widowed: 4.8%
- Divorced: 4.8%
2.1% Foreign born (1.6% Europe, 0.5% Asia).
Population change in the 1990s: +78 (+22.5%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Gordonville:
- SOUTHEAST MISSOURI HOSPITAL (about 8 miles; CAPE GIRARDEAU, MO)
- ST FRANCIS MEDICAL CENTER (about 10 miles; CAPE GIRARDEAU, MO)
- MISSOURI DELTA MEDICAL CENTER (about 30 miles; SIKESTON, MO)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Gordonville:
- CAPE GIRARDEAU REGIONAL (about 10 miles; CAPE GIRARDEAU, MO; Abbreviation: CGI)
- SOUTHERN ILLINOIS (about 43 miles; CARBONDALE/MURPHYSBORO, IL; Abbreviation: MDH)
- WILLIAMSON COUNTY REGIONAL (about 56 miles; MARION, IL; Abbreviation: MWA)
Other public-use airports nearest to Gordonville:
- TWIN CITY AIRPARK (about 22 miles; MARBLE HILL, MO; Abbreviation: 0T3)
- SIKESTON MEML MUNI (about 31 miles; SIKESTON, MO; Abbreviation: SIK)
- CAIRO RGNL (about 37 miles; CAIRO, IL; Abbreviation: CIR)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Gordonville:
- SOUTHEAST MISSOURI STATE UNIVERSITY (about 8 miles; CAPE GIRARDEAU, MO; Full-time enrollment: 7,227)
- SOUTHERN ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY-CARBONDALE (about 43 miles; CARBONDALE, IL; Full-time enrollment: 19,742)
- JOHN A LOGAN COLLEGE (about 52 miles; CARTERVILLE, IL; Full-time enrollment: 4,255)
- SOUTHWESTERN ILLINOIS COLLEGE (about 86 miles; BELLEVILLE, IL; Full-time enrollment: 7,333)
- JEFFERSON COLLEGE (about 90 miles; HILLSBORO, MO; Full-time enrollment: 2,568)
- THE UNIVERSITY OF TENNESSEE-MARTIN (about 96 miles; MARTIN, TN; Full-time enrollment: 5,131)
- SAINT LOUIS UNIVERSITY-MAIN CAMPUS (about 99 miles; ST LOUIS, MO; Full-time enrollment: 10,286)